Is there a time limit to file suit when a family dies of…

Customer Question
Is there a time...

Is there a time limit to file suit when a family dies of lung cancer/ mesothelioma? My father used to line ships with asbestos & passed away at the age of 57 back in 1979. At that time we weren't aware of mesothelioma.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland, it may also be worth noting that he also worked in a paper mill for many years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I'm not sure of the company names he worked for. only that both were in MD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm sure there are other jobs/places he worked that contributed to his demise. he was also in the service, the US Army to be exact if that helps.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

that's fine, I am awaiting your response.
approximately how long does it take to get an answer ?

Unfortunately, in Maryland, the statute of limitation is either 3 years from the time of a diagnosis; or 3 years from the time from the date of death if the death. I understand that you were not aware of the diagnosis and relationship to death back in 1979. Possibly, you could claim that you just discovered the relationship within the last three years, but it may be difficult to do that.

Sorry for the news. I do have a website that provides a number to attorneys in Maryland that possibly you can call also if you want it that handle these matters.

at the time of his death, his diagnosis was lung cancer. he was bever diagnosed with mesothelioma as we were not aware of it nor his work history until recently. does that male a difference? would his body need to be exhumed?
never

Thank you for the additional information. One moment, please.

Was the discovery within the last 3 years?

we also believe he lined naval ships.

Okay. Was the proof of the mesothelioma related death within the last 3 years?

it was.

Thanks for the additional information. There could be a possibility of a lawsuit since it is within 3 years. There are class action lawsuits that this may fall under too. I can give you a link to a website that has a number you can call to inquire more about asbestos claims. Also, there is a link for attorneys that specialize in this on the website. Would you like the website link?

please.Thank you

You are welcome. Here is the link to the website:

https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma-lawyer/class-action-lawsuit.php

If you need anything further, just let me know.