I have a situation, Alabama, Not for a divorce, No I just…

Customer Question
I have a situation ...

I have a situation

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not for a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just have a question to ask

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello:

My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. How can I help you?

Recently we file for bankruptcy in that process we let two vehicles go back and we still have three one for our son and two other ones. But we're having problem now and we're going to go our separate ways but she would not let me get either one of the vehicles because she say both in her name but I am on one of the loans as a cosigner but the car dealership didn't put me on the paperwork do I have any rights to get in one of the cars

You could be entitled to the property as part of a divorce decree if you are getting a divorce. Generally, though, someone can be named on a loan but not on the title and the co-signer on the loan does not have the right to the ownership of the vehicle. In other words, even though you co-signed the loan does not mean you own part of the vehicles. (this happens a lot by the way; you are not the only one). In any event, if you are going your separate ways and plan on getting a divorce, in a divorce settlement or a divorce decree when you split property, you could get one of the vehicles.

If you want to discuss further, just let me know. I know this is not quite what you would want to hear but it is better for you to know how it all works.

is it by law that I would get one of the vehicles through divorce. Or through separating everything

Sorry. There was a site issue and I could not get back to you. It is not by the law regarding the particular vehicle but it is by law that in all the property that you have with your wife is subject to equitable distribution, meaning you each get your fair share of the property.

If you want to discuss further, just let me know.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal. If you need further help, just let me know. I want to make sure you are satisfied with the service I provided to you.

If you are satisfied with my services, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars on this question at no extra charge to you. That's how I get credit for the services I provided to you. Again, you can always ask a follow-up question if you need to do so.

Best regards.

Hello:

I am just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?”