I went today to get my truck tagged to find out it has a…

Customer Question
I went today to...

I went today to get my truck tagged to find out it has a lean on the truck which my uncle took out several years ago before killing him self. The truck has changed hands several times since his death now they are demanding we pay the debt. My uncle had nothing and has been dead for two years what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Arkansas 2004 the truck is payed off but I guess he got a loan and put the truck up as clateral

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean? Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just found out about it when we went to the dmv today

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Do not pay the debt. Has anyone told the lender that the borrower (your uncle) has died? If not, send a written notice to the lender telling them that you uncle has died and that you are not paying his debts. I assuming that only your uncle was the only borrower on the loan. Is there value in the vehicle (equity) over what is still owed on the debt? If so, you may need to negotiate a reduced payoff to prevent a repossession.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.