Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Before requesting public defender i was told there were 12…

Customer Question
before requesting public defender i...
before requesting public defender i was told there were 12 video items of evidence, and would cost me $120 to get copies for my defense, they said theryd be free if i got an attorney. public defender was told there are no videos. The first thing prosecutor says is he cant believe all the videk evidence he had for the case. so my pd said nothing and each of 3 videos used had redacted any exculpitory items and officer's excessive use of force. i am aquitted of disorderly conduct and failure to obey po, but guilty on charge of passive resisting. my lawyer did not ldt me know what evidence was to be used and forgot to enter mitigating evidence and did not cross examine witnesses or say anything othef than that i was not told i was under arrest. the excessive force was caroted artery choke hold and further caroted vein blockage so that i was rendered unconiosious and my heart put into sinus rythim several times. i lost appeal of passive resistance but charge held and was remanded back to city court for sentencing. what can i do to have cops excessive use of force prosecuted? can i now go to State Ct of Appeals on resisting charge. Az caseprosecuted
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

Your questions were: " what can i do to have cops excessive use of force prosecuted? can i now go to State Ct of Appeals on resisting charge"

You can appeal to the Court of Appeals on any conviction that you have so long as the appeal is brought within the time limit.

As far as the officer using excessive force, you can file a complaint with the prosecutor's office or the Department of Justice but nothing ever happens when you do. If it had been going to happen they would have pursued the charge rather than pursuing you.

A better choice would be to locate a local lawyer that does Civil Rights law and see if they are interested in pursuing a civil rights lawsuit.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. A bonus or "tip" is, of course, appreciated but neither required nor expected. Regardless, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney