My nephew was taken from mother, he was hospitalized, and…

Customer Question
My nephew was taken...

My nephew was taken from mother, he was hospitalized, and died. Does the state make the decisions concerning responsibilty, burial, who is in charge of child. Can the state opt for burial, or cremation. Really needing answers. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wichita,Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was removed fom mother, and became a ward of the state

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If the mother's rights were terminated by the court, not just the child was removed from her custody, then the state would make decisions regarding burial of the remains. If her rights were not terminated and the child was simply removed for care and safety, then she can file a claim with the state to recover the body for disposition as she decides.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.