Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

MY MOM DIED 3 MONTHS AGO AND SHE HAS 150000 IN WELLS FARGO…

Customer Question
MY MOM DIED 3...

MY MOM DIED 3 MONTHS AGO AND SHE HAS 150000 IN WELLS FARGO ADVISOR ACCOUNT. SHE SIGNED PAPERS SATATING THAT WHEN SHE PASSED THAT IT GOES TO ME BUT THEY DENIED HER SIGNED PAPER. NOW THEY NEED SO COURT DOCUMENTS STATING THAT I'M THE BENEFICIARY DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO GO TO PROBATE COURT. IM HER ONLY CHILD AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE IN THE WILL EXCEPT FOR ME.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CALIFORNIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO BECAUSE I DIDNT THINK I HAD TO

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will assist you today. Sorry for your loss.

I am assuming the account was in your mother's name only. The Bank should have had a beneficiary listed on the account records at Wells Fargo. That should control. If the account was a payable on death account, or POD account, you can close the account as the account's named beneficiary upon presentation of a certified copy of your mother's death certificate. Have you tried these steps?

If none of those situations work, then unfortunately, you will have to probate your mother's will to effectuate her wishes.

Hope that answers your questions.

Please remember to accept my response so I get credit for providing assistance.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney