I am having a problem my bank and was wondering if I open a…

Customer Question
Hello, I am...

Hello, I am having a problem my bank and was wondering if I open a secondary account with same bank, can they legally take money from one of my accounts to fund another without my express written suthorization to do so, My one account I have a dispute because I made a one time purchase online and the company created additional charges to my account without my authorization about two weeks later. My bank credited me, the parties have been instructed in writing to cancel and and all charges to my debit card and refund, however, my bank hwo is using out of the country claims representatives are stating that they are going to charge back my account. I am in Texas. When I paid about $11 for shipping fees of a trial size offer (that stated online that it was a one time charge), they company has refused to refund my money saying I stuck with the $185 charge ( they tried to refund 25-50% even though I do not have their products, don;t want them, I only wanted the trial of which I have not used. I took action immediately upon knowledge of their crime. I was thinking about opening a secondary account with same bank until I can get a hold of my personal business banker and her branch manager to seek their assistance. I want to make certain that they may not withdraw from my new account if it is not attached to the existing one. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

1st Dec 1 - then unauthorized charges/ alleged purchase around Dec 15th, 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should do it for now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. the short answer is probably yes. Most account agreements with bank provide for the bank's right to withdraw funds from one account for an overdraft in another. When you open the bank account and sign the signature card you are binding yourself to the Bank's account agreement, which is in writing, even though you never saw it. I would recommend that you open a second account at a different bank and not maintain 2 accounts at the same bank.

Hope that answers your questions.

Please remember to accept the response and post a positive rating.