I've been asked to host a terminal patient with his death…

Customer Question
I've been asked to...

I've been asked to host a terminal patient with his death with dignity act. I live in Oregon and want to know if I would be putting my self and family in any legal risk if I agree to this request. The patient is from a state that does not permit DwD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've read the Oregon reg, but am on the fence as to whether or not I should agree to do this. Don't want to go to jail or find myself on the 6 o'clock news.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. So, the answer to your question is yes, you would be putting yourself at risk because OR's law allows for assisted suicide, but only through the recommendation and supervision of a doctor. They can prescribe a lethal dose of some medications. If you are looking to assist the person, I would strongly recommend against it because you could be charged with manslaughter. Did you hear differently that friends and family can assist with this?

I read the oregon regs so I’m familiar with the medical requirements. What I not clear on is the residence requirements and proof of meeting those requirements. What types of mail would satisfactorially meet the standard and does the individual need to on site during that required period of time.

I see. Interesting question! Let me check.

Hello, I just realized that it has been days, and I have not been able to find an adequate answer. I do not want your $ going to waste, so let me opt out and let another lawyer review and help you out.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

You would not have liability here to allow them to claim residency using your address.The person ash to comply with the law.

A patient must provide adequate documentation to the attending physician to verify that s/he is a

current resident of Oregon. Factors demonstrating residency include, but are not limited to: an

Oregon Driver License, a lease agreement or property ownership document showing that the patient rents or owns property in Oregon, an

Oregon voter registration,

or

a recent Oregon tax

Oregon Public Health Division

http://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources

/

EvaluationResearch/Deathwith

DignityAct/Documents/faqs.pdf

Page 2 of 6 return.

It is up to

the attending physician to determine whether or not the patient has adequately

established residency.

http://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/ProviderPartnerResources/EvaluationResearch/DeathwithDignityAct/Documents/faqs.pdf

They can rent a room from you here and then change license, etc.

There is no risk the burden in the person to establish residency.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.