I need the Letters of Administration to get Power of

Customer Question
I need the Letters...

I need the Letters of Administration to get Power of Attorney. How much would a lawyer charge for this service?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

I live in Indiana. I haven’t filed any papers yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been filed yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I am confused by your question. Letters of Administration are for the processing of the estate of a deceased person. A Power of Attorney is for a living person. They are two different things.

Can you clarify your situation?

It’s for processing the estate of a deceased person.

Okay. Thank you.

An attorney may charge you several hundred dollars or a percentage of the estate to probate it depending on its size and complexity. You may be able to do this yourself.

Please bear with me while I gather some information on that for you.

The letters of administration are the papers that are issued by the Court that gives you the authority to act as the Personal Representative of the Estate. This will allow you to sell property, pay debts, close accounts, and distribute the proceeds of the estate.

The first step is to go to the County Court where the deceased lived at the time of their death. You will need to take a death certificate with you. In fact you are going to need many certified copies of the death certificate because every organization that you deal with will need a death certificate and copies of the letters of authority. So order as many as you think you will need.

The probate court will have the form that you need to complete and they will issue you the letters. They will also provide you with instructions for processing the estate.

Here is an example:

https://www.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/83

Also here is a guide book that discusses processing an estate in detail:

https://mycourts.in.gov/BENCH/Documents/probate-deskbook.pdf

In most case, if the heirs are not fighting, the processing is not that difficult. It is just time consuming.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Here is a link to the IN law:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/indiana/in-code/indiana_code_title_29_article_1_chapter_7

You can also obtain additional information and forms here:

https://www.uslegalforms.com/probate/indiana/

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)