I'm a contract employee but on the website as sales

Hi Pearl I'm a...

Hi Pearl I'm a contract employee but on the website as sales director, and am supposed to participate in meetings. Can I refuse the meetings if I'm a contract worker?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

There's no HR just the owner and his girlfriend

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. not union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeh, i think this company is evading irs by making everybody contract workers.

1/2/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

The issue is whether as an independent contractor you would be in breach of contract if you do not participate in the meetings.

Do you have written a contract or oral agreement that addresses any issues regarding meetings, etc.

no, that's just how it's always been. i didn't know my rights as an independent contractor when i took the job. turns out the longer i work for them i think they are shady and i'm looking for another job. but until then, do i have to participate in meetings?
no, that's just how it's always been. i didn't know my rights as an independent contractor when i took the job. turns out the longer i work for them i think they are shady and i'm looking for another job. but until then, do i have to participate in meetings? i think they make everybody independent contractors so they are off the hook with taxes and social security.

You do not have to participate. On the other hand, the owners do not have to continue to work with you. In other words, either of you can terminate the relationship unless there was an agreement otherwise (and most likely would have to be in writing). In other words, if there was no written agreement stating terms (like participated in weekly meetings), then you would not be in a breach of contract. And at the same time, they do not have to continue the relationship on their part too.

Does that answer your question? If so, let me know. If not, please feel free to ask a follow-up question if it is unclear to you.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I think termination is what I'm looking at unfortunately. As soon as I get another job I'm outta there. Can they really advertise me as their Sales Director on their website if I'm a contract worker?

You are welcome. Yes. They can advertise that you work for them as their Sales Director if you are fine with it. You can be an independent contractor and be listed as long as it does not say that you are an employee.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney