Student Loan. I hope your holidays were satisfactory. We are…

Customer Question
Student Loan. Lawyer's Assistant:...

Student Loan.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Good morning, I hope your holidays were satisfactory. We are in Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. We have had a Summons and Complaint issued from Zwicker & Associates along with a notice of Default due to non pleading. I entered a notice of Appearance but no date was set. We also sent a letter to explain our position on why our response needed consideration. That is, the loan is very old and we have tried to get clarification from Zwicker over the years as each year they say we owe and we ask for a discussion and the issues just fade away. This is the first year that the firm has actually pursued the issue. The loan was taken out for my son's graduate work. I signed as a Secondary payer, as a parent. Neither of us has much money. He is working out of state and I am retired living on Social Security and a small pension from a municipality. My son has not received a copy of the Summons as it was delivered here as if he still lived here. Anyway, I ramble. Where do we go from here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Probably, but I don't know whatever to ask.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How long ago was the default entered?

We are in Conn. The Default was a couple of weeks ago but was first reported on the Court's website and a couple of days later got a written notice. We are in a semi-rural area and have rural mailboxes and sometimes mail is not so fast.

Thank you for the reply. At this point, the default would need to be vacated Good cause would need to be shown and it would need to be explained to the Judge, why you failed to appear and answer. Moreover, you want to show you have defenses and that if this is vacated, you will not be in the same spot, whereby a judgment is entered. You have a right to contest this and be heard but need to vacate the default and ask the Judge to decide this on the merits of the case rather than a procedural basis.

I have not found the file with the data in it so I will call ba

Ok

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!