If a taxidermist takes $1200 and 3 animals for mounting, and…

Customer Question
If a taxidermist takes...

If a taxidermist takes $1200 and 3 animals for mounting, and does not mount the deer or return the money, is it civil or criminal. He seems to be living off of people’s payments and deposits without doing the work, which is a societal problem(criminal?).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia. Sorry

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in Florida. He’s in Georgia.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning It is illegal to take money from people and not perform the work which was agreed to. It can certainly result in criminal charges being filed if there is evidence to show the intent of this person to do so. By that, I mean that there is nothing preventing them from doing the work or returning the deer and yet they refuse to do either. As such, a police report can be filed and the police can determine if they want to investigate and charge this person or if after they speak with him, they determine it is civil.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

If it does end up civil, where is the case heard. I paid for it from Florida

Is he in GA also?

Yea he’s in ga
I’m in Florida!

Thank you. Yes, if he is in GA and that is where the business is, that is where the lawsuit will need to be filed. Based on the amount, it would be an issue for small claims court and you could do this on your own. I know you reside in FL but if the business is in GA and the work was to be done there and that is where he resides, the fact that you paid for it from FL, would not likely allow FL to have jurisdiction over this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!