Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband wants my son to move out of the house. My son is…

Customer Question
Hello! My husband wants...

Hello! My husband wants my son to move out of the house. My son is 21, he's his stepson. He's a college student and doesn't work but is actively looking for a job. My husband bought the house before our marriage and put my name on the title several years ago. I share the responsibility of the mortgage but he's solely paying for it. Can he legally force my son to move out if I object? The ground is that my son doesn't work and is disrespectful to his mother. I want to give my son as much time as he needs to stand firm on his feet before he moves out. My husband doesn’t share my opinion and is willing to throw his stepson into the river to learn to swim on his own. Whose side does the law support – my husband’s or mine? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Sorry to hear about your situation. Both of you as co-owners have control of the property and invitees on the property. Your husband will not be able to call the cops to remove you son if you object. He will have to file a civil suit to remove your son and be able to provide a basis. However, your husband does not need to support your son financially since he is the age of majority. I recommend that your son obtain some gainful employment to assist with his bills while he is residing in the home.

Hope that helps. Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney