Can a settlor be a trustee, CT, yes a record of a Trust was…

Customer Question
Can a settlor be...

Can a settlor be a trustee

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes a record of a Trust was recorded, but not the trust itself The settler, living at the property is also the trustee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Yes, a settlor can be the trustee in their revocable trust. In fact it is quite common and typical for the settlor to also act is trustee.

In an irrevocable trust, it is generally a problem for the settlor to also act as trustee, especially if the trust is for protection from creditors.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Posted in error

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!