I need to take human ashes through security. How do I do…

Customer Question
I need to take...

I need to take human ashes through security. How do I do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I am happy to assist you.

TSA has specific rules for cremated ashes: all crematory containers must pass through an X-ray machine. If a container is made of a material that prevents screeners from clearly seeing what is inside, the container will not be allowed through the checkpoint. Out of respect for the deceased, screeners will not open a container, even if requested by the passenger.

TSA recommends that passengers transport remains in temporary or permanent "security friendly" containers constructed of light-weight materials such as plastic or wood. Temporary containers are typically available from funeral homes and offer a security friendly means to travel by air with a crematory container. Once the passengers complete their travel, they can visit their local TSA's Funeral Home Partner who will transfer the remains from the temporary container to the permanent container free of charge. The complimentary "Remains Transfer Service" has been embraced by the funeral industry and already many funeral homes have requested to become partners in this important customer service effort.

Hope that helps. Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.