I have a 16 year old son who has been living with his

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 year old son who has been living with his grandmother that has not gone to school at all this year and he has reached out to me his father a registered sex offender for a place to live

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It appears has several truancy violations and tobacco tickets and is strung out on several different drugs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As a regesterd sex offender what are my rights I am his only living parent his mother my wife passed away in 2016

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

As a registered sex offender, unless you were convicted of molesting your own child, generally you can get a court order to be in the presence of and have custody of your own child. Given the circumstances you described above, if he has all of these issues, your rights and responsibilities and duty as his parent is still to seek to get him the help he is crying out for. Your first step is notifying Child Protective Services, since he still is a minor. If you are fortunate not to get an incompetent and negligent social worker, which CPS seems to be full of, they can step in and get him at least out of the environment he is in, since it is obviously partially the environment that is the cause of his continued addiction, since grandma is not going to provide him any assistance.

If CPS will not assist you, then your only other recourse is going to the court with proof of his addiction and imminent danger he is in and filing a motion for emergency temporary custody and prove to the court that he is in such danger and seek a custody order and order to commit him to a mental health/rehabilitation facility to get him clean and ask the court to grant you physical custody over him upon his release from rehab. The court can still issue you the custody despite your being a registered sex offender as long as you can show the court you are no danger to your child.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.