Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Need legal advise against contractor doing shabby tile work…

Customer Question
Need legal advise against...

Need legal advise against contractor doing shabby tile work in bathroom

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Contra ct

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

What can I answer for you? I see what you've written but I don't see a question listed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Contractor did shabby work, has not corrected but has submitited a revised estimate which is $5000 more then original agreement price which was for 2 bathrooms. has only worked on 1 bathroom. said it would be 3 to 4 weeks for both baths bout has only worked on 1 which has taken over 3 weeks and lots of mistakes and slapped together work

So you have two different options - you can demand that he complete the work for the agreed upon price - since you have a contract (I'm assuming) his revised estimate is essentially meaningless unless you signed something permitting him to change the price on you mid-project. Or you can stop him from working, sue him for the money you've already paid, and have someone else complete the work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
want to know my options before having a meeting with company owner, who has not been on location since receiving down payment of $3100... original estimate was $4960.. no contract was signed.

That's not great - when a contractor does work without a contract it's certainly not ideal b/c it's hard to prove what was agreed to and what wasn't. You can still assert that there was an oral contract, of course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
contractor never came to check on progress of workers.. took 2 weeks to tiles (Tavertine) shower stall and only 2 days to do bathroom floor and walls, which were done in my opinion in a rush because lots of mistakes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
want mistakes corrected , which is like 1/2 the work done and about $1500 in material (tavertine) all of which I have supplied.. estimate was just for labor.. all mateiral provided by myself..

You definitely need to speak with the contractor and if he is unwilling to remedy the mess he made you'll have to pursue legal remedies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know this already... question is at who's expense ... already paid 75% of original estimate and do not want him to do the work on the masterbath because of the shabby work done on the hallbath. Do not want to tell him this until all the corrections/mistakes/poor work is corrected.

So, if you agreed to a particular price then that controls - and if he won't honor that price that would be something that you would seek to enforce in court.

Tina, Lawyer