My spouse and I jointly hired an attorney to execute end of…

Customer Question
My spouse and I...

My spouse and I jointly hired an attorney to execute end of life documents. He recently named someone other than me, and our attorney did not inform me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He named a 21 year old boy to replace me. We have been together for 40 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our lawyer represents us both. Should she not have informed me?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Your lawyer represented EACH of you separately - so, legally, she could not inform you of anything related to your husband's will. Your lawyer could actually be punished by the State Bar if she had disclosed his choices without his consent. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.

If this does not constitute legal advice I am not interested. I thought that was what I was getting. Please reverse the charge. Thank you.
Shedid npt represent us separately, and gave us each copies of our wills and durable powers of attorney. How would I know I was not his agent any more if she did not inform me. I don’t think you know what you are talking about.