If an employee altered the time card, what should the

Customer Question
If an employee altered...

If an employee altered the time card, what should the employer can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing yet we just keep tracking on some employees

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No We just curious if we don’t pay them because they’re altering the time. Is there anything they can sue us or what can happen? We just looking for the way out or what should we do to solve this thing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Can you prove they falsified the time sheet?

Not right now but we’ve been told by other employees that this incident been happening for quite a while. We leave a swipe card right next to the POS system. Some employee show up late for work, clock in & later on fixed the time by themselves

FLSA requires you pay them for all their time.

If you do not because you believe the time record was falsified, then the employee may file a lawsuit under the FLSA for two times their alleged back wages plus their attorney’s fees and costs of court. If the employer counterclaims for wage theft, fraud, and abusive litigation, the employee will likely claim that this constitutes illegal “retaliation” for their exercise of legitimate legal rights under the FLSA. The legitimacy of the retaliation claim depends entirely upon the legitimacy of the wage theft and fraud counterclaims.

If the Court believes the counterclaims are frivolous, i.e., they seek to punish the employee for exercising legal rights rather than to settle the amount of wages the employee is actually owed, then the retaliation claim will stand.

If the employer can prove that the employee was intentionally padding their timesheets, the fraud counterclaim will stand and the retaliation claim will not be viable.

So, it is essential you have proof of the fraud by the employee.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!