I am a male. This past Thursday i got a email ob craigslist…

Customer Question
I am a bi...

I am a bi male. This past Thursday i got a email ob craigslist asking to text. So I replied saying I didnt remember who it was. It was stupid on my part however the reply from the person was a face picture. I didnt ask for any pictures but I replied with a face picture. He was insisting to come and he told me what he wantes to do sexually and then said he was 16. He said he would be 17 next month. I told him that dont help matters and that I could get in trouble and go under the jail. He askes for my address. I gave him a address but not mine. I told him it wasnt my address. He asked why I wouldnt give him my real addreas. I didnt answer but I didnt want him around me. I text him about an hour later and asked where he was. I got no reply. The next thing I know I got a phone call twice from the same number. I dont answer calls I dont know. I researched the number it was from a police department an hour away from where I live. I have blocked the number and blocked the number that the conversation happened. I have since deleted my email that was associated with craigslist and the conversation with the "kid". I dont need my life to be in shambles worse than it is. I dont understand why that police department would call me. Why they havent tried to contact me from a different number. I have not heard anything from anyone. Have not made a new email or been on any dating site or anything like that. I know this was a set up or I feel like it was. Im scared and not sure what to do. As for as I know nothing has been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Louisiana. December 29. 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as it generally takes some time to compose and type a reply.

I cannot tell you for sure whether you were contacted by the police or not. What I CAN tell you for sure is that scammers are able to make it look as if a call is coming from a police phone number when it really isn't. There is commercial software that is available to anyone who wants it which will hide the real number you are calling from and display some other number.

It is possible someone was just looking to scam you or scare you and that it had nothing to do with the police. You are correct that if it was police, since they obviously appear to know who you are because they reached out to you in the first place, they would have been able to find you by now. So this may simply blow over.

Apart from that, what's done is done. There's nothing you can do that will undo the fact that you agreed to see him even though you knew he was a minor and was interested in sex and even though you gave him an address that wasn't yours. You can't undo the fact that you called him back and asked where he was. This is behavior in which the police could, in fact, be interested, since the minor told you what he wanted to do sexually with you if you were to meet up.

It is very, very important not to talk about this conversation to anyone other than the criminal defense lawyer that I hope you will not need to retain. Anything you say about this can potentially be used against you. Should the police call you about this situation, tell them that you do not wish to answer any questions until you've had an opportunity to talk to your lawyer and then get off of the phone. That's your Constitutional right, and it's best that you exercise it.

Meanwhile, since the only thing you can do at this point would be to get the name of a criminal lawyer, just in case you turn out to need one, try to put this behind you and get on with your life. It may all just come to nothing, but unfortunately, you'll just have to wait and see.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.