A dentist gave me gingivitis by leaving a material filling…

Customer Question
A dentist gave me...

A dentist gave me gingivitis by leaving a material filling on my gum line and then refused to treat it. I filled a complaint with the state of Florida and they refused to punish the dentist. They said I could prove it was true. Can I sue the state?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Good morning. Thanks for using Just Answer. You cannot sue the state agency that licenses the dentist. The State is immune from that type of lawsuit. If the action of the dentist constitutes malpractice under Florida law, the dentist can be sued individually. S/he probably carries insurance for that. Private attorneys will work on a contingency fee which is a percentage of whatever they recover for you. Even if you cannot pay legal fees you should not hesitate to contact your own lawyer in this matter. Here is an article about dental malpractice suits that you might find helpful. https://www.cohenandmalad.com/indiana-dental-malpractice-suit/

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, I would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER..

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? If not, please don't forget to enter a rating (hopefully ‘Five Star’) by clicking one of the boxes at the top of this reply. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.