Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need to the suspension taken off of my liscens but I got a…

Customer Question
I need to the...

I need to the suspension taken off of my liscens but I got a jugment on it and it has been dormate for the past 7 years..

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texad

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ive paid the reenstatement fee and I have some surcharges to pay but it out of my pay range.. I have gotten a sr 22 insurance

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to tell you what you want to hear, and I'd ask you to kindly not shoot the messenger for accurately reporting the law.

I know that you'd like me to say that you can ignore a court judgment against you and get your driver's license, but it just doesn't work that way. As the DMV is fond of saying, driving is not a right but a privilege. As such, they can put conditions on the restoring of that privilege. It's expected that you pay your state fines.

That said, some of what you owe can be negotiable. If you are indigent, you may be able to convince them to waive penalties and late fees, which can cut down substantially on what you owe. And they'll be happy to give you a reasonable payment schedule so that you can get the balance paid without incurring a hardship. But until the debt is paid off, they will not grant you a license.

Again, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney