I filed to dissolve an illinois s corporation that has 0…

Customer Question
I filed to dissolve...

I filed to dissolve an illinois s corporation that has 0 assets. The paperwork was sent certified mail yesterday. The IRS is trying to get me to pay late filing fees for my 1120 forms. I submitted a request for due process hearing, which is scheduled by phone in later January. How long before Illinois dissolves my S corporation and can the IRS make me file late filing fees assessed to the corporation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

I filed the form with the state of Illinois to dissolve the corporation effective yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If the corporation ceases to exist as of 12-29-17 can the IRS hit me personally with late filing fees for my 1120 forms?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Blake, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Blake
Blake, Lawyer

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with JustAnswer and I will be happy to help you with this. Please keep in mind that this conversation is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Please wait one moment while I review this matter for you.

Thank you for your patience.

Regardless of whether the corporation is voluntarily dissolved or involuntarily dissolved or dissolved by court order, it is still responsible for its taxes. The corporation will not owe future corporate taxes, even if the business it governs continues to exist. Instead, the business or individual owners of the business will owe these taxes.

Therefore, unfortunately, it is very likely that you will be able to be held accountable for the outstanding tax liabilities of the company if you were one of the individual owners of the corporation.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm sure you would prefer to get an accurate answer, rather than be told what you would like to hear but get false information.

If you believe that the late filing was made for an excusable reason, you may file for an abatement of the late filing fees by using these links:

File a form 843 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf to request the "accuracy related penalty" be abated based on the preparer's honest mistake. Here are instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i843.pdf

I wish you all the best with this.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the “accept” button now and leave a 5 star rating so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided you.

Once you press “accept” and leave a positive rating to this answer, this question will lock open and you will be able to return here at any time to ask me follow-up questions for free, which I will be happy to answer.

If there is any way I can provide better service, please let me know and I will be happy to help.