How can you help to get my money back from E Wizard Support…

Customer Question
How can you help...

How can you help to get my money back from E Wizard Support Service charged on my credit card.

Lawyer's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money.

I haven't paid anything yet to get an answer to my question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and the charge to my VISA was dated 10/23/17.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, I filed a complaint to VISA on early Nov.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The charge of $499.99 from Group of Future Fifty and $499.99 from OCONNECT TECHNOLOGIES

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. We are not able to get you your money back because we are not a law firm and cannot actually represent you. What I can do is to tell you what steps you can take to help yourself. But first, did you authorize these services? What were these companies supposed to do for you? Did they perform what they promised?

If the charges were not authorized, did you report the charges to your police? What was the result of the complaint to Visa?

I authorized the purchases but I was confused and panicking about what they said was going to happen. I felt like they took
advantage of a 77 year old ignorant woman who forgot that she had already agreed to ask for and paid for similar services in May this year. They were supposed to renew a service that had expired on my new computer purchased in early May. They called to tell me they fixed the renewal and I was good to go. I paid for a lifetime support subscription which I will not use because I had already signed up in May for lifetime services with another company which also called me unsolicited with a different reason---malware etc. Judy Stoop

This sounds like you may have fallen for a computer tech scam, and if, so the companies whom you paid may not even be legitimate.

The scam begins when you get unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft or Apple or Macafee or what have you at a number that isn't theirs at all, as it turns out. They just use the name to get you to trust them so that you will grant them remote access to your computer.

If you google "computer tech scam" you'll see lots of fraud reports on companies who do this sort of thing. And the Federal Trade Commission has been working hard to find and stop these tech scammers.

What these computer tech fraudsters do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a hefty fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. They claim that they are putting in a protection program but the scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money for problems that they are creating with their remote access.

Or, it could be even worse than that:

if you also let them into your computer, they also can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and gets your passwords and they can break into your financial accounts.

This sounds like what happened to you in May, and what happened to you recently with these people as well. $1,000 in total will buy you a couple of brand new computers. For a protection package, it's indecently overpriced.

If you can find out who these people really are, I can tell you can go after them in small claims court for their deceptive marketing techniques and get your money back. Otherwise, this becomes a job for law enforcement as you are the victim of a crime.

More to come. . . still typing.

The first thing you want to do is to get your computer to a local tech shop and have them check for malware. Don't rely on the so-called lifetime packages you bought. They are part of the problem. Take it to a live person who works at a reputable local computer shop. Once he tells you that you computer is clean, change all of your PIN numbers and passwords.

Cancel your credit card if you haven't already and open up a new one.

If E-Wizard Support is for real, you can contact them to cancel their service and try to get a refund. If they won't do anything for you, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau at BBB.org, your State Attorney General's Office, and the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov

If that doesn't help you can take the company to small claims court, as I mentioned earlier.

If it turns out the company is an out-and-out fraud, you're not going to be able to find them to sue them. Then, you will have to report them to the FBI. The FBI has a special website for computer-related scam called their Internet Crime Complaint Center. They are at www.IC3.gov. You should also report them to your police, because you are the victim of a crime.

As the victim of a crime, you can write off your losses when you file your 2017 taxes, because unreimbursed losses due to crime are tax deductible. So even in the worst case scenario, if nobody can find these companies, you can get at least something back in the form of a deduction, when you file your 2017 taxes.

These are your remedies under US law.

Finally, for future reference, none of these companies who call you out of the blue and terrify you by claiming your computer's been hacked are legitimate. And none of those pop-ups you get now and again that freeze your screen and warn you of a bug are legitimate either. Avoid all pitches like that.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Responding to your answer. I have to think about how to proceed. Hard for me to make decisions. I do have some time since the charges will not appear again on my VISA bill until early February. I have not paid the charges since they were disputed on the bill in early Nov. On that bill they show as a credit back to me. Now VISA has put them back on after the cut off day for December charges

Whichever way you proceed vis a vis your bank, you need to get your computer looked at to see if they put malware in it. Hackers are careful to do things which will override a computer's anti-virus protection. So just running Norton or the equivalent will not tell the whole story. YOu may have time to think about how to handle the charges, but you do need to be concerned against possible additional identity theft. That should be a priority.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney