My father in law passed away a year ago. There was nothing…

Customer Question
My father in law...

My father in law passed away a year ago. There was nothing as far as a estate. The power bill was in his name and back on 8/30/2017 my mother inlaws power was shut off for non payment. I went to have power put in my name and was told that they could not turn power back on in my name until I paid the outstanding balance of my father in laws.$2411.64 . Can they force that on me to pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ga. Marietta power is who raked me over the coils

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I just paid it,because my mother inlaw has alzehimers and had to have power back on

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope,just feel like I was taken advantage of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

They kind of have you over a barrel with utility companies.. They couldn't force you to pay the outstanding bill, but then they could just refuse to restore service until someone did.. So while legally they couldn't do it, they effectively could because they control the power service to the house...

.

.

thanks