Mental health law expert in MS Law?

Customer Question
Mental health law expert in MS Law?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Here's my quest:
I am an adult, disabled, several mental illnesses, live alone, very hard to do many things by myself. A few yrs ago, my psychiatrist of many yrs had my mother (ret'd, 60's) come into ofc. He told her that I was not of sound mind & wd need someone to pretty much live with me to hlp w/basic evday needs She agreed fully, "Sure!"etc.. He told her he was putting her agreement/statement in a (rwally more of an 'offic.' letter on his letterhd, I think) but he put that she was helping me & agreed to continue.
I was livg w/her then. Her ex husb soon moved back to town, moved in, and I was moved out to a small house that my father owns a ways away. Since, she has done nothing to help whatsoever, even when I cont her in severe or suic. crises. She pays my tv bill, insurance, but dsnt even contact me (even on xmas/bday, etc). Is she obligated to?
Is she, I belv she signed the thing, but def. verbally discussed it with Psych, is she oblig. to care for me at all, as was agreed to?
12/31/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

take your time. (MS)

Really the answer to your question would be based on WHAT she signed. If she is your guardian then she *would* have an obligation to care for you in some meaningful capacity, check on you, make sure you get to doctors' appts, things like that. But, at the same time, if you needed a guardian, it would be pretty unlikely that you'd be living on your own.

In the MS law, it says even knowledge that a vulnerable adult is being neglected - as far as not having food, med, etc and not reporting it is a crime (misd)

I'm not aware of it being a crime for anyone who doesn't have a duty to report. In other words, a physician would have a duty to report perhaps but a guy who sees it on the street is highly unlikely to have that obligation.

He did tell her that i needed a guardian, but as long as she kept doing as she was, then I wd be okay
it lists those that are, I guess, mandated? Mostly all professionals, dr's, lawyers, bank executives, dentists, etc...
do not have a vehicle

Right... professionals like mentioned above. You would need to find out what she signed to see if she now has a legal obligation. You could start by speaking with the doc that had her sign the form she signed (not quite sure what that form is...)

You ARE licensed in MS, a member of MS Bar (so that you are familiar with MS law), right?

I'm a member of the NY and NJ bars and I am familiar with MS law as well. We can only provide you with general information - not legal advice.

My first sentence/requisite was 'MS mental health expert,' not someone with gen info, and my question wasn't answered. I know no more now than I did before.

I'll be happy to opt out and if we have someone specific to MS (I don't know that we do) they can respond. Have a good night.

No, I see that this site is the same as it was 5-6+ yrs ago. I'm going to cancel my membership. thanks anyway
Tina, Lawyer