If I have a lease for a commercial building and the own has…

Customer Question
If I have a...

If I have a lease for a commercial building and the own has not made the necessary changes for me to put the Utilities in my name it been 60 days what are my legal options

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Philadelphia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In 90 days I was suppose to start paying but like I said the building has no heat. I have key and put items in the building wait for them to get the Utilities departed but they have not done yet

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was it stated in the lease that the landlord would do whatever is necessary so you could get utilities on?

.

What is the reason you can't get the utilities on?

.

What is it that you want to have happen here?

.

.

thanks

The land lord had to separate the gas lines the gas line has been done now they are waiting for the meter to be put in. Can't get them on till they do what they have to do I want to know about paying rent even though The utilities can't be turn on.
Not
No
Ok are you going to response to my question

Ok, if the lease states that the landlord has to make the property suitable so you can get the gas on, then the landlord is in violation of the lease if he hasn't done so.

.

Even if you had just an oral agreement, the landlord is in breach of contract and your recourse here is to either sue him in court to force him to complete the repairs/modifications so you can use the building, or to void out the lease and have him pay you for any damages you incur due to his breach in failing to make sure the building was usable..

.

Further, since the landlord hasn't done what he is supposed to do, that gives you grounds to not pay rent when due. When one party breaches a contract, that relieves the other party from any further performance..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

since 60 days have passed since I sign the lease and only have 30day till rent is due can I reclaim my 60 days lose

If the landlord was supposed to have everything ready, including utility services, during that term, then you can sue him for breach of contract and demand your rent paid back as damages..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

.

.

.

Thanks much