Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My civil rights were restored, but not the right to possess…

My civil rights were...

My civil rights were restored, but not the right to possess a firearm after a release from prison in 1984. I now own two real estate firms and often carry large sums of funds to escrow and banks. I am 67 years old and wish to restore the ability to carry a weapon for self defense. I live in Tacoma WA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WA lawyer about this yet?

No

12/30/2017
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. To get your gun rights restored, you are going to have to petition a Superior Court. There are a number of steps involved in successfully petitioning to have these rights restored. These include: Filing the petition in the proper county Superior Court; Serving copies of your petition on all necessary parties; Documenting all necessary information to show that you meet the legal requirements for getting your rights restored; Scheduling hearings with a judge & filing a note for motion; Attending the scheduled court hearing; Drafting & filing a proposed order restoring firearm rights for the judge to sign; Filing a copy of the judge's signed order with the appropriate law enforcement agencies to ensure you clear future background checks.

While you could handle this yourself, it might make sense to hire an attorney who can help you navigate through these procedural processes.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney