I live in Brooklyn & have a roommate of nearly 2 months (Im…

Customer Question
I live in Brooklyn...

I live in Brooklyn & have a roommate of nearly 2 months (Im primary tenant) who was meant to vacate at the end of Dec (no lease). She has been escalating in harassment & yesterday I had to also file an assault report, but the police told me an order of protection would not have her removed from the apartment. Is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Brooklyn, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have filed a harassment complaint, I was at the hospital yesterday & filed a report w the police for assault, i have video of her entering my bedroom & taking pics of me in my bedroom, I’ve served her notice of termination...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She’s stalked my landlord, etc telling lies about me, she’s tampered with optimum equipment... She’s tampered w a door at noght that locks on her side & connects our bedrooms...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
I forgot to say, she has twice now asked to
be paid both the 2 months rent & an additional $900 if she leaves “asap”. The police when I tried calling 911 ordered her to no longer text me. I have a recording of a conversation proving text allegations she made of me verbally stating i have entered her room without permission & broke her laptop (stepped on it in her room) are false. We no longer speak (she makes harassing comments still if thinking Im not recording or we’re not being filmed by my bedroom camera), but now she also takes video & pics of the apt (caught by my bedroom camera).
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

That's not exactly correct. An order of protection would keep her from having contact with you and keep her away from your residence, but only while the order of protection was pending. When the order expires, she can come back, unless you can convince your landlord to evict her.

It’s my responsibility to evict her & she has been served a notice of termination. So to clarify, she could be ordered to stay away from the apt, but would not have to remove her possessions or return keys?

If she is on the lease, your landlord would have to evict her. If she is not, that is another story.

A protective order would require that she keeps away from you. In my experience, that would mean she would have to stay elsewhere while the order is in effect. I have known of instances where the defendant was allowed to remain on the premises but they are atypical. She would be given an opportunity to return with the police to get her things. Until she is evicted, she still resides there on paper. She would not be required to return her keys solely as a result of a criminal protective order.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney