Are you able to answer breach of protection order questions?

Customer Question
Hello are you able...

Hello are you able to answer breach of protection order questions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, charged with breach of protection order

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wanting to know the possible implications of breach when going to court

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you.

Violation of a court order, protection, no-contact and restraining orders can result in your arrest and contempt of court charges.

The penalty depends on the seriousness of the violation, whether it was your first breach and your knowledge of the breach and order.

Breach of a civil protection order is covered by the following statute which is implemented byt he court:

"

RCW 26.50.110

Violation of order—Penalties.

(1)(a) Whenever an order is granted under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34RCW, any temporary order for protection granted under chapter 7.40 RCW pursuant to chapter 74.34 RCW, or there is a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, and the respondent or person to be restrained knows of the order, a violation of any of the following provisions of the order is a gross misdemeanor, except as provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section:

(i) The restraint provisions prohibiting acts or threats of violence against, or stalking of, a protected party, or restraint provisions prohibiting contact with a protected party;

(ii) A provision excluding the person from a residence, workplace, school, or day care;

(iii) A provision prohibiting a person from knowingly coming within, or knowingly remaining within, a specified distance of a location;

(iv) A provision prohibiting interfering with the protected party's efforts to remove a pet owned, possessed, leased, kept, or held by the petitioner, respondent, or a minor child residing with either the petitioner or the respondent; or

(v) A provision of a foreign protection order specifically indicating that a violation will be a crime.

(b) Upon conviction, and in addition to any other penalties provided by law, the court:

(i) May require that the respondent submit to electronic monitoring. The court shall specify who shall provide the electronic monitoring services, and the terms under which the monitoring shall be performed. The order also may include a requirement that the respondent pay the costs of the monitoring. The court shall consider the ability of the convicted person to pay for electronic monitoring.

(ii) Shall impose a fine of fifteen dollars, in addition to any penalty or fine imposed, for a violation of a domestic violence protection order issued under this chapter. Revenue from the fifteen dollar fine must be remitted monthly to the state treasury for deposit in the domestic violence prevention account.

(2) A peace officer shall arrest without a warrant and take into custody a person whom the peace officer has probable cause to believe has violated an order issued under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34 RCW, any temporary order for protection granted under chapter 7.40 RCW pursuant to chapter 74.34 RCW, or a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, that restrains the person or excludes the person from a residence, workplace, school, or day care, or prohibits the person from knowingly coming within, or knowingly remaining within, a specified distance of a location, if the person restrained knows of the order. Presence of the order in the law enforcement computer-based criminal intelligence information system is not the only means of establishing knowledge of the order.

(3) A violation of an order issued under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34RCW, or of a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, shall also constitute contempt of court, and is subject to the penalties prescribed by law.

(4) Any assault that is a violation of an order issued under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34 RCW, or of a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, and that does not amount to assault in the first or second degree under RCW 9A.36.011 or 9A.36.021 is a class C felony, and any conduct in violation of such an order that is reckless and creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person is a class C felony.

(5) A violation of a court order issued under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34RCW, or of a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, is a class C felony if the offender has at least two previous convictions for violating the provisions of an order issued under this chapter, chapter 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34 RCW, or a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020. The previous convictions may involve the same victim or other victims specifically protected by the orders the offender violated.

(6) Upon the filing of an affidavit by the petitioner or any peace officer alleging that the respondent has violated an order granted under this chapter, chapter 7.92, 7.90, 9A.40, 9A.46, 9A.88, 9.94A, 10.99, 26.09, 26.10, 26.26, or 74.34 RCW, or a valid foreign protection order as defined in RCW 26.52.020, the court may issue an order to the respondent, requiring the respondent to appear and show cause within fourteen days why the respondent should not be found in contempt of court and punished accordingly. The hearing may be held in the court of any county or municipality in which the petitioner or respondent temporarily or permanently resides at the time of the alleged violation."

It is advantageous to have an attorney for your hearing and depending on the violation you may be entitled toa court appointed attorney.

We are here to help, so please follow u with me as you need.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Best

Attorney Bill

I am asking the question for Perth Western Australia. Is this legislation relevant to the National Protection Orders in Australia?

I will opt out in that case; An Australian attorney can assist you.

There will be a different statute than in Washington, but similar procedures are followed.

Thanks

Bill