Needing direction to help my mother-in-law. My husband (her…

Customer Question
Needing direction to help...

Needing direction to help my mother-in-law.
My husband (her son ) and I️ have an advanced care directive which she filled out about 2010. Since many things accused with her health and she is now in a convelecent home about230 miles from us. Recently her x-husband passed away and he resided in the home they both purchased and lived in for about 16years. That was about 1979 -
The deed is in her name and the ex-husband who is deceased.
We were wondering if there was a way to sell the home so that we could get her close to us in a home which has out-of-pocket costs. Which most are in our area and her social security is minimal as well. We are the only ones who have cared and kept close contact with her and her care. There are other 1/2 siblings which are now fighting trying to move into that home since it’s paid for. Where do we go from here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. Just have been discussing with my husband and my mother in law cries to be closer. It would also be helpful since I️ have a hard time traveling with a back injury.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When we spoke to my mother in law in mid October she said she wanted to sell the home so that we can have her close to us somewhere where she can have the care she needs. She has some dementia and mild Alzheimer’s.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Is there also a general power of attorney or just he health care one?

I put accused imeant occured
Just advanced care directive for health
My husband is on her social security as payee

You would need to open up conservatorship/guardianship here in California.You also need to open probate for father.You have multiple issues, you will need California lawyer to fix all of this and sell it.

Contact the State Bar for Help

Conservatorship

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-conservatorship.htm

The lawyer can help with conservationist and then probate for dad if that has not been done too.

I appreciate the chance to help you , sorry you are having to deal with all of this.

Prayer to you here.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

He was step father the one who passed away
Thank you

You would still need for probate for step father, if he had will or not it likely passed to mother.You can stills ell here it will just take some legal work to get there.