My son cut his hand with pocket knife. Went to er and she…

Customer Question
My son cut his...

My son cut his hand with pocket knife. Went to er and she stitch him up until eight stitch blood squirting, she stitch ninth stitch blood squirting told me body will heal itself. Went to specialist ummm 3 times nothing. Went back to ER was there 4 1/2 hours sunday , would not stop bleeding. Tuesday my son started bleeding wrapped him in towel took him to ER again. Peter Franks said check his blood and do sonagram. Came back as a radial artery cut? They finally sent to KU hospital. They fixed him in less than 24 hours.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I could have lost my son over this.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence; or more specifically, medical malpractice for their failure to see that his radial artery had been cut Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand. So, you may want to consider filing a claim with the insurance company of the place where you took him or filing a malpractice claim against the doctor(s) that saw him.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising them that you may have a malpractice claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Hello, just wanted to follow up with you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to ensure you are 100% satisfied.