If I'm living with a family member and giving them money to…

Customer Question
If I'm living with...

If I'm living with a family member and giving them money to help pay rent and bills, what rights do I have? Also, are they legally able to turn off the electricity in my bedroom, to try to force me to leave the house?

Lawyer's Assistant: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Charlotte, NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/30/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

They may not legally turn off the electricity to try to get you to leave. How long have you been living there?