Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I went last evening to purchase a new vehicle I ended up…

Customer Question
I went last evening...

I went last evening to purchase a new vehicle I ended up being a co-signer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

My daughter was supposed to sign as owner today but didn't Texas can I return it

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't think they can without my daughters signature because they financed it in her name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Did you actually *purchase* the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I drove it home and told them I am bringing it back this evening my daughter did not sign the contract and they financed it in her name me as co owner

Your daughter didn't sign which contract? The loan contract or the ownership contract?

W​hoever signed the ownership documents is the owner. Whoever signed the loan documents is obligated to pay the loan. They are not one and the same. In other words, Person A can "own" the car while Person B (or C or D or A) can be on the loan and therefore have to pay for the car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She didn’t sign any of the papers lian or ownership I can not call

If she didn't sign anything then she doesn't own the car and she doesn't owe any money. The person who signed the respective document is the person who owns/owes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I signed as co owner

If someone signed and nobody else signed there is just one owner.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
your answers are confusing me a little. If two people are supposed to sign and the co owner is the only one to sign
I don't see why i would have a problem taking it back

The issue is there's no "supposed to sign"... they don't let you drive off the lot until there is an owner and someone who is paying for the car. Also, dealerships do not generally take cars back. I think you'll find that if you try to take it back. If you signed forms on the line where it says you own it - then you are the owner of the car. They wouldn't be under any obligation to take it back. I know I'm not telling you anything you want to hear but I have an ethical obligation to tell you the law the way it is. You could always sue them and argue fraud, etc. but on the face of what you have told me, you are the only person who signed ownership papers for a car - therefore you own a car.

Tina, Lawyer