Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I WAS REAR ENDED IN AUGUST OF 2016. A TOTAL LOSS SETTLEMENT…

Customer Question
I WAS REAR ENDED...

I WAS REAR ENDED IN AUGUST OF 2016. A TOTAL LOSS SETTLEMENT WAS REACHED BETWEEN MYSELF AND THE AT FAULT DRIVER'S INSURANCE CO. FOR MY GRAND CHEROKEE. I WAS EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE PHYSICAL INJURY WITHIN A FEW DAYS. IT WAS DETERMINED I REQUIRED NO MEDICAL INTERVENTION AT THE TIME AND I HAVE RECEIVED NONE TO DATE. THE AT FAULT INSURER JUST SENT ME A LETTER OFFERING TO SETTLE ANY AND ALL BODILY INJURY CLAIMS FOR $500. MY QUESTION IS, UNDER FLORIDA LAW HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO LITIGATE AN INJURY IF SOMETHING TURNS UP THAT CAN BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE ACCIDENT? ARE THERE STATUTORY LIMITATIONS?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE. THE LETTER I RECEIVED WAS A LOSS SETTLEMENT OFFER FOR "YOUR BODILY INJURY CLAIM" AND A "RELEASE OF ALL CLAIMS AGAINST" NAMED INSURED. THERE IS A CLAIM NUMBER REFERENCED IN THE HEADING.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NOT AT THIS TIME

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Florida actually has one of the longer statue of limitations for torts of this type based in negligence(which is what this would be), at 4 years from the date of the accident. Most states it is 2 years. Here is a link to the statute (subsection 95.11 (3)(a) applies): http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0095/Sections/0095.11.html

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know that I covered your question by replying to this answer, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney