I have received a letter from social security stating that…

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a letter from social security stating that when my daughter turns 16 in May of 2018, my benefits will end? Why? Roy ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Called social security number, held for one hour and did not get any answers. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My wife died November 5, 2013 and I have two children. The children and I draw social security. Please help!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I think this is an error here the child is not of age to terminate benefits.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59—71½ percent;
  • Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16—75 percent;
  • A child under age 18 (19 if still in elementary or secondary school) or disabled—75 percent; and
  • Dependent parent(s) of the deceased worker, age 62 or older:
    • One surviving parent—82½ percent.
    • Two surviving parents—75 percent to each parent.
  • Please stay after them here, I know there is a wait time but this isn't correct and you need to make sure benefits aren't cut off.

You can email them here too

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=classic

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.