My wife is diseased. She has a credit card in her name only.

Customer Question
Second opinion] My wife...

Second opinion] My wife is diseased. She has a credit card in her name only. Will I be liable for the balance remaining?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Oregon, wife diseased Nov. 27, 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have successfully closed her checking account.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Oregon is not a community property state, so that means that if she had an account in her name only, then only her estate can be held liable for the debt at this point.

.

If there is no probate case filed to settle her estate, then you can send the card company a short letter with a copy of her death certificate stating she has passed, her estate is insolvent, and no probate case will be filed..

.

They normally will just write off the debt at that point..

.

.

thanks.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much