I've had my Champva ins. since 2004 and divorcing my Vet can…

Customer Question
I've had my Champva...

I've had my Champva ins. since 2004 and divorcing my Vet can I still keep my ins?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

ILLinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news...you can NOT keep CHAMPVA after divorce. By law, you are only eligible for this benefit if you are married to a veteran.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can divorce and keep CHAMPVA, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil