I am a joint tenant of a house my sister and I inherited. My…

Customer Question
I am a joint...

I am a joint tenant of a house my sister and I inherited.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My sister and I are joint tenants of a house left to us by our father. We live in Vermont. She has been living there with her family since our dad died. I have tried to get her to buy me out. She won't. She ignores my certified mail. She doesn't pay any rent, but she pays the taxes. Since she's been living there she has decreased the value of the place by 20%. I feel I should get to have the right to move in for 5yrs. Or to force her to buy me out or put house for sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The Will states all that he left to us. It says joint tenants

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that she pays about $110 a month for taxes. Pays no rent, house is paid off. Property has a horse on it, and it has decreased in value according to the town assessment

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. let me see if I can assist you today. Based on your summary of your situation, it seems as if you and your sister own the house as joint tenants. If you have a deed that lists you as a joint tenant, you have the right to force the "partition" of the property. That will force your sister to buy out your interest or will force the sale of the real property.

here's a link to a helpful article on partitions:

http://www.partitionaction.com/states/vermont/

Hope that helps. If satisfactory, please remember to "accept" the response and post a positive rating.