My question is I had a vehicle repossessed, now I am being…

Customer Question
Hello my question is...

Hello my question is I had a vehicle repossessed, now I am being sued by the company for the remaining balance. Have not been able to pay on the balance so far, so now what do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Tx 2012

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it has been filed in our county, and we were served papers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was given a citation for personal service

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

You'll definitely want to answer the summons/complaint you received b/c if you don't you'll lose by default.

With a lawyer present will that make it possible to make payment arrangements?

Yes - but you can also make payment arrangements without an attorney - and you can reach out to them now to see if they will withdraw their complaint if you agree to payment terms.

But the important thing to remember is that negotiating with them does not eliminate the requirement to answer the complaint. You also must do that. People often believe b/c they are negotiating with the creditor they are "doing something" helpful - but the creditor can still - at the same time - get a judgment against them.

Will there be any chance the amount owe would be lowered?
What do you mean by the creditor can get a judgment against them?

Give me just a sec to respond :)

So, yes, there is a chance that the amount will be lowered if you negotiate with the creditor. It costs them money to sue so often if they can avoid it they're willing to take a lower amount.

Why I meant by "creditor can get a judgment against them" is that the creditor can STILL pursue litigation while the consumer thinks they're resolving it directly with the creditor. So you always want to respond to any litigation even if you're negotiating with the creditor.