Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Alabama and my husband passed away last month, am…

Customer Question
I live in Alabama...

I live in Alabama and my husband passed away last month, am I responsible for his credit card debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I live in Alabama and theses cards were secured after our marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as? I have talked to several card companies, one said I would not have to pay that balance and another said I was responsible even though my name wasn't on the account.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

OK

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. First, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your husband. I know this must be a difficult time for you. Please know I will keep you in my prayers!

As for your specific question, the answer is no. Alabama is not a community property state. If spouses do not reside in a community property state, and only one spouse signed the loan contract (such as a credit card agreement), then the signatory-spouse is the only party liable for the debt. The other spouse, being the non-signatory spouse, does not share in such liabilities of the signing spouse.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard

Richard, Attorney