My Friend is disable and have a DUI penalty to paid or jail…

Customer Question
Hi My Friend is...

Hi My Friend is disable and have a DUI penalty to paid or jail time, is any law or legal form petition to drop his penalty due he can't paid it, has no money all goes to medication , he got his DUI in Pittsbughs, he had to mass heart attcks and emergency heart surgery during the time of that DUI, and in alot of medication due his kidney transplant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have DUI charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

He did the court date already his penalty is about $2500 to be paid by feb 2018 or jail time

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the DUI occur?

Pittsbugh PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If any legal way to have the penalty to dischrge due his Disabilty he only collect $2000 a moth varely make it in food n medication an living expenses, Jail isen't for him he been trhought a lot

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If he can't pay strictly because he is too poor to do so, the judge can make alternate arrangements for him. He may not be able to eliminate the fine altogether if a fine is mandated by statute, but he could potentially be able to lower the fine, for example, or allow for partial payments.

He can contact his lawyer and get the matter back before the judge to argue his indigency and see what the judge will be willing to do for him. Otherwise, in my experience, if he shows up to pay and just gives whatever little he can, the court will accept it and give him another date to show up with more. They don't like accepting partial payment but they will do it, and as long as your friend is indigent and making a good faith effort to pay all he can, he would typically be able to avoid jail. It is not a crime to be poor. It would be a crime to duck a court obligation, but not if the only reason it can't be paid is poverty.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.