Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Have a question. My Aunt just died and has no kids but her…

Customer Question
Hi. Have a question...

Hi. Have a question. My Aunt just died and has no kids but her husband my uncle is in an institute and lost his memory. What is the process to enter the house as a relative to find out where the will might be?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My cousin spoke to a detective and found her body a couple of days ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You would have to file a formal petition in the local Surrogate court to be appointed as the Administrator of the estate. Once you were appointed, you would have the legal authority to enter the dwelling and see if you could locate any will.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney