If one fails to give written notice of candidacy for condo…

Customer Question
If one fails to...

If one fails to give written notice of candidacy for condo board in Florida not less than 40 days prior to annual meeting is there any way he or she can still be a candidate

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

I did. Fl;oriya

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No No No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The Florida Statutes provide no exceptions to this rule. As you know, the rule provides that at least 40 days prior to the annual meeting/ election, all unit owners desiring to be candidates for the Board must inform the association in writing of their intent to run.

The following link discusses this rule, and it says that the deadline cannot be extended or modified by the association: https://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/2017/10/29/bylaws-generally-provide-notice-requirements/

The link states that "[t]he association does not have the discretion to extend the deadline, which is set by state statute. Section 718.112(2)(d)4.a of the Florida Condominium Act states that "a unit owner or other eligible person desiring to be a candidate for the board, must give written notice of his or her intent to be a candidate to the association at least 40 days before a scheduled election."

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!