I am wondering if it is against constitutional rights for a…

Customer Question
Hi I am wondering...

Hi I am wondering if it is against constitutional rights for a detention facility to freeze an inmate's commisary account? There is no information that states anywhere that there is a limit to the amount of funds that an inmate receives, only a daily limit of $500.00.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

COlorado, Adams COunty

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He received a letter today from the facility stating that his account was frozen because "too much money has run through his account" and they are "not a financial institution". People have sent him funds to pay the lawyer, which has been in excess of $30000

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry, but the answer is no. The commissary is not a right, but a privilege. The inmate has given up his rights when convicted. As such, they only have the rights to bare minimum room and board; not a commissary which is a privilege. It can be taken away.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.