Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How are you? I have a strange problem which can probabl7yll.

Customer Question
How are you? Lawyer's...

How are you?

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm good, thanks. How can I help?

I have a strange problem which can probabl7yll

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry, be solve with BBB, but we are not really sure about the law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, My husband has a bill with St. Anthony's hospital which I have been paying. It seens that even though I am paying they can still turn this over to a collection agency. Not a problem I continur to pay St. Anthony's. The collection agency says they are not recieving money from St. Anthony's and are threatening me. Also, they went yesterday and placed a paid bill on my credit report from 2016.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question: I am paying the Hospital, until yesterday they could not tell me where my money was going. They are recieving payments 1) do they have a right to go into my credit report and file (yesterday) against me because they are upset because of the way I am paying. 2) If St. Anthony's is paying them (I have no contracts) can they still file all these things against my husband? What are my rights here?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?

What do you mean by upset by the way you're paying? You have to pay them the way they request to be paid. If someone else is paying them you'll need to confirm that they are receiving it and it's being credited to your account.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am paying 100.00, I have proof thru my bank and bill pay of all checks. No monies have been returned to me. All checks cashed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there?

In that case, you'll want to contact the bank and notify them that you're making payments and find out WHY they're not getting them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The hospital says it doesn't matter if I am paying, if I refuse to make a contract on each billing (about 15) they automaticly turn over to collection agency. My husband has cancer, there is a different billing for each transaction. I have ask for them to combine so I can pay on one so that I can keep up with balance. The collection agency doesn't want to be paid by the hospital and I don't owe them money
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The hospital says they are giving the collection agency the money. The collection agency is going against me and it's not by bill and I've never signed any hospital bills. I just pay them

You could contact the collections agency, notify them that if they contact you again you will report them to the state for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

You do need to figure out who to pay though b/c if they're telling you that it doesn't "count" you don't want to be throwing money into the wind.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so in 2016 I paid them their requested amount on a bill, yesterday they file against me on m y credit report. This is over a year old. Can they do this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, this is not an act refusal, it's just that the collection agency wants to be paid directly and doesn't like the fact I am paying the hospital. I am asked for the hospital to send me recepits of their payment to the collection agency since they are denying payment. They also refuse to contact the hospital. I guess you call this a mexican stand off.

Ok, so in 2016 I paid them their requested amount on a bill, yesterday they file against me on m y credit report. This is over a year old. Can they do this? <- if you still owe them they can put it on your credit report.

You could also send copies of the statements showing what you paid - to the collections agency

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I do not have extra money. Just retired an money is low. But no I don't owe them anything and it says 0 balance. They just added, bill paid, less amount owed. However, it was what they asked for.Any way, my biggest question was, with no contract with them, or the hospital....I owe the hospital, can I continue to pay them and they pay the collection agency since I have never stopped paying them?

No, if they're specifically telling you to NOT pay them you can't keep paying them and have it "count"... if they're telling you to deal with the collections agency, that would be who you would deal with on this. But you would ideally want something explicitly telling you to deal with the collections agency.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney