This is a question about Obamacare. Specialist required I…

Customer Question
This is a question about...
This is a question about Obamacare. Specialist required
I currently have Obamacare through Mass Health Connector. I am currently living overseas and would like to cancel my plan. however I may return to Mass in 6 months or so and would want to get Obamacare again. Questions are.
1 I have aleady reenrolled in my 2018 coverage and paid for January. If I cancel my plan today would I receive a refund for the money I paid for January or would they keep the money and end my plan at the end of January?
2 Because I would be returning to the States during a non open enrollment period would I be able to enroll or would they deny me. If I fall under the special circumstances category what would I need to show to prove that I qualify?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No refunds here, once you miss payment in Feb. they will drop you from coverage.

You would have to prove special circumstances here to re enroll otherwise you have to wait to open enrollment.You could just keep paying with the idea that if you need say open heart surgery you could return to US but thats your call.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.Happy New Year.

Is returning from another country considered special circumstances? What specific things do they request for proof? Is the process difficult?
If I decide to stay the whole year overseas I would be filing my taxes as a nonresident. Does having Obamacare through Mass Health Connect contradict a nonresident status?

I think your best way around open enrollment is to claim job loss.If you are out of work as you likely are when you come back you can usually get by it that way.

If you kept it in effect not sure they would ever know otherwise.You would just be on extended vacation.

Im self employed. I dont think I can claim job loss. Will keeping it mess up my taxes if Im claiming non residency by living in another country?

In that case you may decide to let it go and try to re enroll.If you are self employed and paying taxes up til you leave you can claim job loss and re enroll.Arguably there is a slight interruption until you get self employed again.My experience is they don't check this real hard.

Thanks again good luck in your journey thanks for rating 5 stars.