My handicapped brother is living in a condo my late father…

Customer Question
My handicapped brother is...

My handicapped brother is living in a condo my late father bought for him and put it in a trust for him years ago. The problem today is that at 73 years old, the second floor condo is hard for him to manipulate the stairs. Even a device to get him up the stairs would be cumbersome since his whole right side is paralyzed and it would be difficult for him to sit in. Is there any way we could sell the condo for a first floor condo?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

After my brother dies, the condo is to be divided between my sister and the wife of my deceased other brother and me.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

What you'll want to do is have the trustee authorize a sale with repurchase of a downstairs unit. If the trust authorizes a sale and the trustee authorizes it you may be able to get our brother into a downstairs unit that way.