Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I got a felony in PA in 2008. I now reside in VA since…

Customer Question
Hello. If I got...

Hello. If I got a felony in PA in 2008. I now reside in VA since 2011. I received my civil rights minus my firearms privileges from the governor of VA. On the letter it states "To regain state firearms privileges, you must apply through the circuit court of your residence."

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

PA. Intimidate Witness

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Non-violent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing has been filed I did receive my civil right from the gov

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Even though the governor of VA restored your basic civil rights in VA, in order to get your firearm rights restored, you must file a petition for pardon with the Pennsylvania board of pardon and parole with restoration of firearms rights. You must get the firearm restoration from the governor of Pennsylvania, since the VA court cannot give you firearm rights taken away by a sister state. The letter you received telling you to go to circuit court is a form letter for people who were convicted in VA, but you were not convicted in VA, so you would need to go to PA to seek your firearms rights restored.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney