Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am inquiring about an incident involving my medicine and…

Customer Question
I am inquiring about...

I am inquiring about an incident involving my medicine and the pharmacy CVS. My medicine which is a controlled substance was mixed with ibuprofen instead of all the medicine I was given more ibuprofen than my tramadol. Can I take some legal action against the store? They also said they will be investigating against the pharmacist who filled the perscription

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I reported it as soon as i recognize it. i took pictures of the pills

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And i also took back them back

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

In order to sue the pharmacy and pharmacist for malpractice, you need to prove more than just they gave you the wrong medication, you need to prove you suffered harm as a direct result. Absent proving harm suffered as a direct result, all the pharmacy is liable to do is refund your money or fix the prescription. So if you did not suffer actual harm as a result of their mistakes, you could not satisfy the damages part of the claim required to have a successful civil action in court against them as the court would have really nothing to award you.

If you have suffered some damage as a result of the improper medication, then yes, you can sue for the pain and suffering caused by taking the improper medication.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney